Hibernation Sickness

An intermittent transmission from somewhere in metropolitan France to somewhere across the Atlantic.

August 03, 2005

Nothing and Everything

A quick post, by necessity and in keeping with its thrust, which is my fear and ambivalence about the sheer quantity of shite on the Internet. Not a new issue, I know, but...

I'm sitting here procrastinating on my last days of work here, and I decide to see what's on Billy Corgan's web site. I haven't checked it in a few months, and I see that the Confessions still await me unspoiled and ready to consume in one sitting, and there's a picture from the tour. I'm curious about the shaggable female figure I've been seeing perform with him who has gone unspecified, so I visit the "friends of the tour" page. I click and click and see that EVERY MEMBER OF THE BACKING BAND HAS A TOUR BLOG, or journal as they call it. Not only that, but the opening band members have tour diaries, too. Not only THAT, but they are fucking interesting, too boot!! The female provides a candid, if narscissistic first-timer view of touring with Billy Corgan, replete with pictures of swanky hotel rooms (Billy not averse to luxury hotels shockingly) and lists of the DVDs they watch in the tour bus, further demystifying Corgan as his DVD list is more akin to WWF archives than Criterion Collection archives.

Even more interesting is Matt Walker's tour diary, in which he hangs out with some guys named Bono and the Edge in Germany. In London he gets drunk with a one Robert Smith who offers "impromptu renditions of push," which latter detail makes this all sound like some elaborate fantasy encounter I just came up with, but alas no. In spite of all this, it "feels good to be back on american soil." Huh?

Anyway, one of you might want to check out one aspect of Walker's website in particular (*ahem*downloadableloops*ahem*). I hope I've conveyed the confounding glut of not-quite-compelling-but-must-read things on this here internet, as I add to it. Reading takes time, this is just too much! It has to end! Plus, it's so overwhelming that it starts to become meaningless, as Bourdieu put it.


NB: I didn't even get into the craziness of the political bloggers, can anyone really keep up with these people, as entertaining as the conservative ones can be?

1 Comments:

Blogger Stanus said...

I might be interested in drum samples ... any interest in throwing in a URL?!?!?!

3/8/05 16:17  

Post a Comment

<< Home